Everybody wants to live a happier and more fulfilling life but not everyone wants to work for it. Some people say that their purpose in life is to be happy . . . which can’t be a life’s purpose by the way because purpose always has to do with you doing something for humanity and God and not for your happiness. But that’s not the point, the point is that people want to live happy lives but they don’t know how to.
Welcome to my diary! To flip back, go here. This week, I remembered a time when someone told me that human beings should learn how to live happy lives. I’ve been thinking about this and realized a few things about happiness that I have personally experienced and will share with you in a few seconds.
But first, note that the word used is the verb LEARN. A verb is an action word. It is active. And the word learn means to acquire or to attempt to acquire knowledge or the ability to do something. In other words, happiness is something you need to work for. You need to do something, act.
If you thought that happiness just comes knocking on your door, you’re wrong. So in this article, we’re going to learn how to be happy and start working towards living happier and more fulfilling lives.
But wait! Do you know what it means to be happy? It means to be content and satisfied.
Facts about Happiness:
- Your happiness is not dependent on anyone
- Nobody has the responsibility of making you happy
- That you’re content and satisfied (happy) doesn’t mean that you can’t strive for better.
- You can’t get happiness from the world: society, social media, etc.
Let’s Dive In!
6 Things to do to live a Happier and Fulfilling Life
1. Mind your Business: This can’t be overemphasized. As humans, we like making our opinions known, we love to gossip and we generally just like to butt into situations that don’t concern us. It’s natural. This is also the reason why people on social media think they can ‘comment’ on anyone’s lifestyle. Nobody knows how to mind his/her business anymore. Except if it affects you, you have no business there. And yes, for my Christian folks, it is biblical to mind your business. 1 Thess.4.11. Concerning yourself with things that are not your business gives you unnecessary stress. To be happy, you must activate your mind-your-business system. Go here to know the importance of this action.
2. Be Content: Remember that I said that to be happy means to be content? Our world is filled with greedy people. We want MORE. More money, more respect, more recognition, more…everything. Is it bad? No. But it becomes a problem if you let all the ‘more’ things you want hinder you from enjoying what you have right now or make you do things you normally won’t do. I am not asking you to relax and not reach for your goals or something better, I’m just asking you to count your blessings. Your attitude should be ‘I may not have it all now, but I do have something and I will be satisfied with what I have until more comes’. Godliness with contentment is great gain.
3. Be Kind: A lot of people are not kind. We are told every day by public speakers, celebrities, preachers, etc. to be kind. But do you know how rare that quality is? So many of them preaching it may not even be kind. To be kind is to be generous, benevolent, sympathetic, friendly, and warm-hearted. To be kind is to love. Anytime you have the opportunity to help someone in need, do so. It could be something as simple as giving a listening ear. When you’re kind to people, when you make them smile, you will be happy. There’s happiness in making people happy. We reap what we sow. Sow kindness and love in lives you come across every day and live a happier and fulfilling life.
4. Be Purpose-Driven: There’s a purpose for your life and until you find that purpose, you won’t have a fulfilled life. Like I said earlier, the purpose of your life isn’t to be happy. It is to serve humanity and God. But being happy is a bonus point you get from living your purpose. Ask yourself questions that will give you a helping hand to discover your purpose. You can seek Mark Manson for help or you just go here and follow these steps to discover your purpose. You can never live a fulfilled life if you are not living your purpose.
5. Stay with the Right People: This can’t be overemphasized. Surrounding yourself with people who understand your goals and encourage you with both words and actions makes a very big difference. Always move with the right crowd; they help you to fulfil your purpose here on earth.
6. Get to Know God: After all said and done, your joy, happiness and fulfilment will remain short of what it’s meant to be if you don’t know God. He’s the only one who can give you happiness. No other way around it. If you’re familiar with my blog, then you’d know that I always make it about God because at the end of the day, whether you believe it or not, everything revolves around Him. Your happiness, joy, peace of mind, fulfilment, all of it revolves around Him. He gives it out like the way Kylie Jenner gives Stormi expensive purses. But, it’s only if you make Him your father. You can do that right here! This is the ultimate thing to do to live a happier and more fulfilling life.