Everyone at some point in time has faced the dilemma of choosing or making decisions – whether it’s something as little as choosing an outfit to wear for a friend’s party or something as big as choosing what path to take next in your career, decision-making is part of our everyday lives.
There are times when you will need to make immediate decisions and other times when you will have more time to think through your decisions.
There are times that you will need to consult some people before making a decision and other times when you will have to make a decision by yourself.
Of course, you may also feel like not making a decision but in life’s twisted way, that is also making a decision. In this life, at every turn, whether we mean to or not, we always make decisions. We always choose. Yup, decision-making is that serious.
Another truth we must know is that a lot of things affect our decisions – family, situations, religion, etc. And no matter how we may want to learn the subtle art of not giving a ****, there are a lot of things you need to consider before making a decision especially if you’re making a decision concerning people other than yourself like if you’re a CEO, headmistress, group leader and so on.
I mean, have you for once thought about the kind of decisions presidents and CEO’s of big companies make every day? Thousands, even millions of lives are affected by whatever decision they make.
Dos and Don’ts of Decision-Making.
We will always make a few bad decisions, some more costly than others. But, here are some guidelines you will need to make the right decisions.
1. Always think of the pros and cons: There will always be advantages and disadvantages to every decision we make. There’s a saying that goes “think carefully before you act, and only act when you’ve carefully thought of the consequences”. There will always be consequences for every action we take.
2. As much as you can, don’t be in a haste: Try as much as possible to avoid making decisions on impulse. They usually end in tears. Think through every possible scenario. And even when you need to make a decision immediately, do so after you’ve carefully thought of some outcomes – even if it’s for a few minutes.
3. Never make a decision based only on feelings and emotions: How many times have we heard “I did _____ because I felt like it”? I’m not trying to discredit your feelings or anything but, we give so much control to our feelings. Never make a decision on solely how you feel because how you feel today may not be how you will feel tomorrow. Be logical about your decision-making process.
4. Trust Yourself: If you’re making a personal decision especially, you need to trust that you are doing the right thing – whether it ends in tears or not. Always do what you think – not feel – is right. When making a decision, you don’t always need to ask for the opinion of others for things concerning YOUR life because they’ll always talk about THEIR own lives and what THEY think without thinking of you and your needs.
Because of human imperfections, we can never make a perfect decision and no matter how much we make our pro and con list and think through stuff, we will always fall short of that perfect decision. Our goal is to completely eliminate the cons. Here’s how.
5. Acknowledge God: Believe or not, God is our father and He is all-knowing. He knows what’s best for us, and this includes EVERYTHING concerning us. The Bible says in Proverbs 3:6 (KJV) that if you acknowledge God, He will direct your path. This just means that the best decision you will ever make is submitting to God’s rule and making Jesus your friend. This decision will surely give birth to other great decisions, and all you need to do whenever there’s a decision to make is ask Him.
Note that He will never force a decision on you, you will still have to decide if He’s worth it. We just can’t seem to escape making decisions.